Follow events of the day on Twitter!
From your cell send a text to 40404
Your message should say “follow zrd”
President Obama has failed to end the war in Iraq and has dramatically escalated the war in Afghanistan. A surge of new U.S. combat forces has brought mounting civilian casualties in Afghanistan, while the U.S. military denies responsibility for recently revealed criminal attacks on unarmed civilians in Iraq. Both Iraq and Afghanistan are occupied by more than 100,000 American troops, and the people of both countries what U.S. forces out. Billions of our tax dollars are spent on brutal wars abroad, yet at home we’re facing cuts to education, health care, and affordable housing. Military recruiters, who disproportionately target low income people, are using the economic crisis to intensify pressure on vulnerable youth. On Thursday April 22, Minnesotans will say no to war, military recruitment, and cuts to social programs, with a day of coordinated protests.
Press Conference and Grandmothers for Peace action
- Thursday, April 22, 10:00 a.m. Knollwood Mall, Parking Lot (by the Knollwood sign), Highway 7 and Texas Avenue, St. Louis Park
- Join the irrepressible Grannies for Peace at Zero Recruitment Day! Join the Grannies as they tell the military recruiters to leave our grandchildren and children alone! There will be a 10:00 a.m. press conference, followed by a street bannering on the sidewalk outside the military recruiters office. Don’t miss this fun gathering with the Twin City’s liveliest grannies! Initiated by: the Anti-War Committee. Endorsed by: WAMM.
AlliantAction and Twin Cities Peace Campaign
- 10am to 2pm @ 1672 Robert Street South, West St. Paul.
- Directions from the Mendota Bridge: 1. Head southeast on MN 55 2. Take MN-13/MN-110 exit on the left 3. Merge onto MN-110 4. Turn left on Robert Street South Destination will be on the right. The cross streets are Wentworth and Lothenbach on either side. The office is located in a strip mall connected to a Rainbow Foods. There is a Wells Fargo bank between the strip mall and Robert Street.
- Contact Marie Braun – braun044 [at] umn.edu 612-522-1861; 612-275-2720
University of MN TC Campus
- 11:30 am – Gathering at ROTC (located off University Ave on 17th/Church Street (http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/maps/Armory/)
- We will then march from the ROTC building to the two recruiting centers on Washington Avenue & Oak Street.
- 3:30 bannering & 4:30 -6:30 pm rally @ National Guard building @ 600 Cedar Ave. St Paul (12th & Cedar)
- Protest the surge in Afghanistan and military recruitment. For many of you it’ll be a reunion at the site of many RNC Day 4 arrests!
SERF (Semiotic Existentialists Reinventing Fun)
- 4-6pm @ Lyndale and Lake Recruiting Office.
- Events also sponsored by Military Families Speak Out, and by activists in Mankato.