Representatives of unions, faith based, community, civil liberties and anti-war organizations will gather outside the office of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, 5th floor, City Hall, on Thursday, July 28, at 11:30 a.m. They will deliver a letter to the mayor with demands for permits to rally and march to the NATO/G8 summit in May 2012, and a guarantee of civil liberties and the right to protest.
This letter was written in response to the threats of mass arrests made against anti-NATO and G8 protestors by Superintendent Garry McCarthy of the Chicago Police Department in the Sun Times on July 15th.
The press conference will include:
- Christine Boardman, President of Service Employees International Union, Local 73
- Jokarhi Shakur, student leader, Save City Colleges coalition
- Bob Clarke, Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights
- Joe Lombardo, United National Antiwar Committee
The letter was initiated by:
- Chris Geovanis – Hammerhard Media Works
- Pat Hunt – Chicago Area Code Pink, Chicago Area Peace Action
- Joe Iosbaker – United National Antiwar Committee
- Alejandro Molina – National Boricua Human Rights Network
- Andy Thayer – Gay Liberation Network and Chicago Coalition Against War and Racism
Join us on Thursday, and if you are not able to be there with us, please add your name to those supporting the letter, which is posted on the StopFBI.net website – http://www.stopfbi.net/get-
Joe Iosbaker, UNAC